Saturday, June 18, 2011

Potential Grounding

       Josh checked the documents that show the mechanic who made additions to my aircraft did so following all regulations stated by the Federal Aviation Administration.

     Meanwhile, volunteers marked with purple sealant some of the key bolts and other locations to prevent any changes between today's inspection and the start of the race. We heard that un-scrupulous competitors have in the past messed around with competitor's engines and props. If broken, the purple sealant will show that a miscreant has tried to alter an engine or propeller. I think that's when they cancel Christmas for the perp. 



      All the placards were in place, all the certificates in the file . . . except for the Supplemental Type Certificate for the aileron and flap gap seals. 

No biggy, indicated Denise; if you don't have hard copies of documents we (might) have them on CD! 

     But the documents we need are not in the CD! Vernon, inspector for the Air Race Classic, said, "You have in your log book items that are not installed on your airplane." (I'm learning new things about my plane.) "You need your mechanic to reconstruct the documents that are missing of the things that ARE on your plane."
    I phoned Aero Maintenance where they have maintained my airplane for the past twenty plus years. Jim said that the airplane is missing documents. We cannot race without logbook and certificates in order, often a difficult thing to accomplish with an old airplane and tight federal rules that ensure the safety of aircraft. I know my aircraft is air worthy; but I need the documents to prove it or we cannot fly this race.
     Feeling un-characteristically glum, I phoned Bone, Jim's partner at Aero Maintenance. 
     "We'll take care of ya. We'll send the documents on Monday." Thank Goodness! 
     But the stress has given me a headache. Argh. Where in my bag did I throw the bottle of aspirin?




No comments:

Post a Comment